Workers Compensation F.A.Q.

Frequently Asked Personal Injury Questions Surrounding Workers Compensation and Workplace Injury

Is workers compensation my only recourse for recovering damages when injured on the job?

Actually, there are several instances when you can file a personal injury claim to win compensation for injuries sustained on the job. For instance, if you were injured by a defective product, you may be able to bring a products liability claim against that product’s manufacturer. 

Likewise, if your injury involved a harmful substance like asbestos, you may be able to file a toxic tort claim against the manufacturer.

It’s always important to discuss your workplace injury case with an experienced personal injury attorney like those at Panio Law Offices, who can help determine what possible claims you may have and against whom based on the circumstances of your injury.

How long do I have to file a personal injury suit against my employer if I am injured on the job? With few exceptions, the state of Illinois statute of limitations provides that claimants must file no more thanks one year after knowledge of their injuries for all personal injuries. 

What recourse do I have if my employer does not carry workers compensation insurance and I am injured on the job? In such instances, Illinois personal injury law allows employees to file a personal injury claim against their employer. Keep in mind that while you may be able to recover larger awards than workers comp allows, you will have to prove that your employer was responsible for the injuries you suffered on the job, which is not required when filing a workers comp claim.

What if I am injured by a third party on the job? What recourse do I have then? If you are injured on the job but those injuries are caused by a third party not related to your employer (i.e., a road worker is hit by a driver on the road), you may be able to file personal injury claim against that third party outside the workers compensation system.

Again, it’s imperative that in such cases you speak with an experienced personal injury attorney to determine what options you have for recovering damages for injures and losses given the circumstances of your case. Call Bizzieri Law Offices at 773.881.9000 to speak to an attorney. We have a track record for recovering large damages for our clients in all areas of personal injury. We can help.

Practice Areas

Personal Injury

Construction Negligence

Nursing Home Negligence

Motor Vehicle Accidents

  • Motorcycle Accidents
  • Truck Accidents
  • Bus Accidents
  • Train Accidents

Premises Liability

  • Dog Bites

Medical Malpractice

  • Failure to Diagnose Cancer

Dental Malpractice

Employment Law
Legal Malpractice




3 + 5 =